BIAFF 2022 – The Festival announces its 17th edition and the program of its international competition
The 17th Batumi International Arthouse Film Festival will be held in Batumi from September 18-25. The Batumi International Film Festival was established in 2006. Organizer of the film festival – Batumi House of Artists “Argan”.
Film screenings will take place at the Apollo cinema and at the Place de l’Europe. The film festival will present 30 feature films and documentaries from 30 countries, as well as 30 short films.
Due to reduced funding from the Georgian National Film Center (GNFC) and the Ministry of Culture of Ajara Region, it will not be possible to hold the BIAFF Industry Platform “Alternative Wave”. It was an important platform for Georgian filmmakers during which the trainings/workshops of the representatives (director, producer) on the issues of script development, directing, film project development, pitching, etc
In general, BIAFF is facing a very difficult financial situation this year – all major government sponsors (Ministry of Culture of Georgia, Georgian National Film Center, Ministry of Culture of the Ajara region and so far no definitive answer from Batumi City Hall) refused to finance the BIAFF festival which has never taken place in recent years.
Regardless of these difficulties, the BIAFF festival management still manages to organize the festival with the support of several embassies, some foreign partners and will soon announce a FUNDRAISING campaign to raise the minimum fund needed to cover some basic costs.
The Festival program this year will include the following sections:
- International feature film competition
- International short film competition
- Masters collection
- Georgian panorama
- Focus on UKRAINE – BIAFF management thanks all film companies who generously considered our situation and provided free films for this section – Matchfactory, New Europe Film Sales, Directory Films, Arthood Entertainment
- CINEDOC-TBILISI – this year the Tbilisi Doc festival (CINEDOC) will hold its program within the framework of the BIAFF festival
BIAFF Feature Film Competition Section – BIAFF Feature Films will be judged by the following Jury – Leh Majewsky (Poland) – Head of Jury, Carmen Gray (Germany), Lasha Khalvashi, Nino Basilia, Gela Babluani (Georgia).
- “19”, Manijet Heckmat, Iran/Germany, 2022; 75 mins.
- “A Fleeting Encounter”, Romed Wyder, Switzerland, Luxembourg, 2022, 85 min
- “A Piece of Sky”, Michael Koch, Switzerland/Germany, 2022; 137 mins.
- “Four Walls”, Bahman Gobhadi, Turkey/UK, 2021; 114 mins.
- “Kerr”, Tayfun Pirselimoglu, Turkey/Greece/France, 2022; 100 mins.
- “Klondike”, Maryna Er Gorbach, Turkey/Ukraine, 2021; 100 mins.
- “Sermon to the Fish”, Hilal Baydarov, Azerbaijan, Mexico, Switzerland, Turkey, 2022; 90 minutes
- “Una Feminna – The Colde of Silence”, Francesco Costabile, Italy, 2022; 120 mins.
- “Herd immunity”, Adilkhan Yerzhanov, Kazakhstan/France, 2021; 94 mins.
- “A room of My Own”, Soso Bliadze, Georgia, Germany, 2022, 107 min
Festival supporters – Embassy of Switzerland, Embassy of the Republic of Lithuania in Georgia, French Institute, Embassy of Italy, Embassy of Sweden, Batumi Puppet Theatre, Batumi Boulevard,
Festival Sponsors – APOLLO Cinema, “IRE PALACE” Hotel, “Wonderland” Tour Operator, “Legal Consulting Center” LLC, ART ITALY GROUP
Media partners of the festival – Georgian Public Broadcaster, Radio Fortuna/Fortuna+, Adjara TV, Batumi TV, advertising groupFilm New Europe, AT.GE, Journal BATUMELEBI, netgazeti.ge, CinExpress.ge